Rosetta Turns Five {Edward And Elizabeth Get Bunk Beds!}

Saturday, July 9, 2016





My  littlest grand-daughter, Rosetta, turned five.  I can hardly believe how quickly the years have flown.  She is such a special little strawberry blonde headed little girl and reminds a lot of people of me when I was little.   It warms my heart every time I hear it!  



She loves her little twin American Girl baby dolls.  She named them Edward and Elizabeth and she never spends the night with us that they aren't both tucked into a pallet on the floor next to her bed.






So when my daughter suggested that maybe Eldon and I make a little doll bed for her birthday, I knew right away it had to be bunk beds.  Eldon spent a few evenings building the beds and I painted them to match the bed in her big girl bedroom.  

(The plans he followed are here.)
  





I found fabric that matches her own bedding to perfection and I made little mattresses, sheets, flannel blankets, doll quilts, pillow cases and a pillow sham for each bed.  






The little pillow cases and shams were very quick and easy to make and they really dress up the little bed a lot! 





I made the quilts in just a very simple pattern and machine quilted on the diagonal.  They were so simple to make and went together so quickly.  I also made little flannel blankets by sewing a quick hem on a piece of flannel.  I made those large enough to actually wrap her babies in. 






Rosetta has a little bit of a hard time pronouncing her "r's" and so when she opened the package and saw the bunk beds she said (over and over again), "OH MY WOOD, OH MY WOOD"!!!  That is my best memory of the day!!!  And then she got her babies and put them to bed!






Sewing for my little grand-girls is always so rewarding to me.  I think I could say it rates right up there as one of my favorite things!  You can never go wrong! I think my husband would say the same thing about building for them too!  






Happy Fifth Birthday to my most precious little strawberry blonde grand-girl!



17 comments:

  1. Oh my, you two really hit the jackpot for 4his birthday girl''s gift! How absolutely darling...so very sweet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lucky sweetie pie! Best birthday gift ever! All made with love. I want her bedroom! Can I please move in?!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rosetta is one precious child with very special grandparents!! What memorable gifts!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is obviously very pleased with this gift. Sometimes grandparents get it just right!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a special birthday gift! It is one of those gifts that she will have and pass down someday to her own little girl! That bedding is just adorable! Happy Birthday to Rosetta.5 already?? Goes by so fast! Love to see little girls playing house and babies.
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beyond precious!!! What joy you must get watching her play with those sweet dolls and your own handy work. It's just beautiful!! As someone who lives on the west coast, it took me a moment to figure out that a sweet five year old would say "Oh my word." Sadly, we just don't hear that around here.
    Warmly,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow beautiful work! She will never forget what you two had hand crafted for her. A gift that will last her a life time of memories. Happy Birthday Rosetta. Ill need to send you all some more Art to color one day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adorable! Nothing compares a homemade gift made with love:).
    Kathleen in Az

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a cherished memory, for everyone concerned!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These grand loves are truly blessed little angels! Treasured gifts for generations! Perfection! Blessings to all your sweet family! ❤️ Robin in NYC

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those little grands of yours are the prettiest, sweetest little things! Her response was priceless! I love the bunks and bedding. You know, handmade treasures like that may get tucked away for a great granddaughter some day :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember when she was wee little....these are just adorable photos of her and her lovely gifts ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What wonderful photos of your grand girls celebrating Rosetta's birthday! So very sweet!! The bunkbed for her dolls, complete with beautiful bedding, sure made one little girl very , very happy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My heart melts at the sight. Thank you, Grandma and Grandpa! You're making awesome memories in some sweet, little lives. Darling beds and bedding.

    ReplyDelete