Change Is A Good Thing, Right?

Thursday, August 3, 2017




Hello Friends!  

I've been thinking about change a lot lately, about the experiences we go through that change even the simple things that we used to enjoy.



The last year my blog has been one of those things that I've wanted to either change, or stop writing completely.  When I started this blog six years ago, we had made a major change in our life by retiring from the West and moving to the South where we had purchased a farm.  We began the process of building a home - all by ourselves, mind you - and I felt it was a great way to document the process and keep family and friends updated, as well as be a great journal for us to go back and read!  (You can read all those posts here.)  But after we finished our home and moved in, things changed in my blog and I wrote mostly about the happenings on our farm and settling into our house.  

If there's one thing about blogging that I've learned in the last 6 years, it is that it is not easy - it takes a lot of time to take pictures and then edit the pictures, and write the post.   So in the busyness of my life, blogging usually takes a back seat even though it is something I really enjoy!   

So that has brought me full circle in my thinking and I decided this week to make some changes in my blog template and to get back to where I was when I started blogging six years ago... and that is to blog for myself.  I think it is very easy to think we need to write for a particular reader base, or for certain interests.  Now I realize I want to blog about all the things that I love, the things that interest me, the things that make me happy.  The things that someday I want to look back on and remember.  

I hope your summer has been enjoyable.  I find it hard to believe that school has started here in Tennessee and summer is at an end for a lot of people.  But for my daughter and I and our flower farming business, we are in the thick of some serious blooms!

Thank you friends, for continuing to follow along with me in this blogging journey!  


31 comments:

  1. I love your new look on your blog. I am so glad that you are going to keep blogging. Looking forward to many beautiful post on the things you love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teresa! You're always such a great encouragement to me!

      Delete
  2. Those sound like happy changes to me. Lots of success with the flowers...still $5 a bouquet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vee,

      Yes still $5 a bouquet. That seems to be the magic number!

      Delete
  3. So glad you're going to hang around - love your posts, regardless the topic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a relief that you will still be blogging. I write for myself too and am touched if someone finds it worth reading. I know you don't write often, but I look forward to every post.
    Enjoy the rest of your summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do feel that writing for ourselves is when the words flow freer and have more meaning, don't you think? Thank you for your encouragement!

      Delete
  5. I too enjoy your post - no matter what the subject I know it comes from your heart. I thank you for taking the time to share with us all. Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoy reading your blog and your take on living on your farm in Tennessee. I know it takes time to write, and I appreciate the work that goes into each post. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jean. It's readers like you that make it all worth it!

      Delete
  7. I look forward to all that you have to say and to see what is going on in your neck of the woods. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Change is good. I look forward to your blogging thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much... your blog is one that I love because I know it comes right from your heart! I've always loved that.

      Delete
  9. This post made my day:). Good! I've always enjoy your blog and your daughters, one of the first blogs I read. I hope everyone is well, including all creatures great and small:). The flowers look beautiful!
    Have a wonderful day, Kathleen in Az

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathleen. You, my friend, are one of my most faithful readers! And hugely appreciated!

      Delete
  10. I'm so happy that you still have the desire to blog. I'm interested in you and your goings on over there (so different from my city life)!!! Thank you for sharing!!!
    Warmly,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoy reading your blog also. I love to see your creativity in all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, this sounds like a good change, do what makes YOU happy for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melissa. We forget what's important sometimes don't we?

      Delete
  13. I always enjoy hearing what you have been busy with and I am glad that you will continue to share with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Winnie. It is always, always good to hear from you - either here or over on my Ranch Farmgirl posts on MJF. Hope you're doing well!

      Delete
  14. I don't care what you write, I've enjoyed your blog from the day I discovered it. Keep on blogging and I'll keep on reading it. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love reading your blog and makes me happy that you will continue to write. Thank you for sharing your life with us all. Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hear you Dori! I think it is easy to lose our way and our authentic voice over the years. I have been thinking the same thoughts. I love my blog but can't seem to make the time commitment. I'll still be here reading yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that you blog this way! I am not a fan of all the blogs out there that once seemed like a chat across a picket fence, but not are riddled with ads and pop-ups. I love to read about you sweet, gentle farm life and the everyday things in your life.
    I'm glad you decided to continue to blog, and I look forward to reading whenever you have the chance to post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't comment much but do read your blog, though I've been pure busy these past few months to read blogs, so I can totally relate to your post here. I'm so glad you are going to continue to blog. After blogging since 2007 and wondering and pondering if I should or can keep blogging. I told myself that I am going to continue to blog for me and blog about my life. Thanks for this post I so needed to hear that I am not the only one feeling this way.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dori, I just found your blog as well as your daughter's and I love the pictures and stories of your farmhouses! I hope you continue to share your stories, thanks so much! Mary Lou

    ReplyDelete