December Monthly Moos {Belle The Farm Dog}

Friday, December 27, 2013



A few years ago before we moved to Tennessee we bought a little Australian Shepherd puppy.  We named her Belle and she was a tiny little ball of fur that fell in love with our horse, Promise.   


 We could not keep her out of the horse corral no matter what we did.  We finally decided to just leave her alone - even though we knew all it would take was one little mis-step of a horse hoof.   But this bond developed between the horse and dog that was unbelievable and it wasn't long before the two of them were completely inseparable.  


When Belle was about six months old we made the move across the United States from the sand in the Southwest to the grass in the Southeast.  Its a very long story for another day, but our horse Promise had a very hard time adapting to life in the humid South.  Belle became almost a life line for her - maybe a bit of a reminder of "home".    We believe that it was Belle that kept her alive.  (Now aren't you curious for that story?!)


Belle is 3 1/2 years old now and Promise is still her very best friend!  You rarely see one that you don't see the other nearby.  While Promise grazes, Belle naps.  


Belle loves her cows too.  She isn't the greatest "cow dog" as far as helping with them - at least the way we would like her to help; however, she thinks she's helping!


This is a very common sight on these cold winter mornings.  Belle laying on the crest of the hill with the horse, but keeping a watch out for deer!  


And then when they've had enough of that, they nap together in the warm winter sunshine!


Eldon and I asked our daughter if she would mind taking a picture of us for our Christmas cards... we were never intending to have any animals in it but here came Promise sticking her whole body between us and of course there is Belle looking up at her beloved horse.  


The two of them are rascals and get into lots of mischief.  Recently I was sitting at my piano and realized that there was a strange noise at the front door.  So I turned to look and what did I see but horse AND dog standing on the porch with faces pressed against the front door just listening to the music.   Couldn't capture it with my camera in time though!  


Belle is probably my favorite dog of the few that we have owned in our married life.  She is the perfect farm dog that loves all the animals, the grandkids, and us too!  She never has a bad day! 

17 comments:

  1. Love this post! My sister had a Aussie too. Just got married and was missing me, her twin sister. She named her Kit-dog after me. Belle looks so happy. Wonderful story how she is a constant companion to Promise. You have to write a post, if not a book. Awesome Christmas card too. Wishing you a Happy New Year! Kathleen in Az

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dori, I love all your stories and musings, but THIS one is my all-time favorite!!!! What a touching tale and how fortunate you are to experience the sweetness of it every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the sweetest story!! Your dog is beautiful too! Happy Holidays :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dori. I am always blessed from your posts... Maybe partly because I love Tennessee and I love how you and Eldon had the courage to move across country and live in a RV for two years to build your dream home... This post brought laughter and joy to my day, this chilly day in Kentucky... Loved the image about Promise and Belle listening to the music... I am sure a Big Smile was on your face... Have a wonderful day... and Thanks for sharing a day of your beautiful life... Happy New Year ....

    ReplyDelete
  5. For Pete's Sake, that is an adorable friendship!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so heart warming, thank you for sharing. I can just imagine what a horse and a dog on a front porch must of looked like! LOL, precious memories for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a delightful post! You must be quite the piano player…a real Dr. Doolittle of the keys. : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is the sweetest blog post ever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun you must be having at your new place! A "real life" Christmas card...PERFECT! Happy New Year to you and your family.
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful animal story!!! Isn't it amazing how accepting they are of each other....Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, this post has brought tears to my eyes. Both the story and the photos are totally heartwarming. I love it when two different animals bond and become best friends. I can tell from your stories that you and your husband are kind, compassionate people -- the type of folks I'd love to meet in person!
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww, so sweet. That was a great Christmas photo. I would have loved to have seen them at your front door!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Dori, I'll admit, I've just been an admirer of your blog for awhile now and have yet to leave a comment. But, this story, oh my, is so moving I just had to comment. I love it!! I love the pictures!! What a wonderful relationship these two girls share. Thank you so much for sharing it as your Monthly Moos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely love this story! It is so sweet and special. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete