Blueberry Scones

Wednesday, March 26, 2014


One early morning last week I arrived at a friends house and she had the yummiest scone and coffee ready for me when I drove up.  Since then I've been craving scones!  She had made a yummy Oatmeal Maple Scone (The Pioneer Woman recipe) which I promptly made the next day!  Then today I was cleaning out my freezer and came across the last little bag of blueberries that my daughter and I picked last summer.  


All I could think of were Blueberry Scones!  


I've had this recipe tucked away for a day just like today!


We oftentimes have dessert with our daughter and her little family on Wednesday night.  So that was a great excuse to make them!


Of course the first thing I did when they came out of the oven was fix myself a cup of coffee and have a warm scone!  

I was thinking as I was making these that it won't be long (thankfully) and we'll be in fresh blueberry season again.  I can't wait to be out in the blueberry field dripping in sweat from the humidity and swatting the mosquitos!  (Can you tell I'm super tired of the cold weather?!)  But strawberry season comes first and oh, is it ever so fun to pick fresh strawberries.  And I'm thinking home made strawberry ice cream is the first thing I'm going to make!

How about you - what is your favorite fresh summer fruit to pick and what will you make first?


In the mean time, buy some blueberries - or dig them out of your freezer like I did - and make these yummy scones!

Blueberry Scones
Ingredients:

2 cups flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons cold butter
1 1/2 cups blueberries
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/3 cup heavy cream
2 eggs

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Place a baking mat on a cookie sheet and set aside.
Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.  Using a pastry cutter, cut in butter until it is the size of small peas.  Stir in blueberries and zest.
Using a fork, whisk together eggs and milk, set aside.
Make a well in the center of dried ingredients and pour cream inside.
Using a large spoon, lightly stir dough just until dough comes together.
Pour dough out onto floured surface and press into a 6 inch square.
Cut into four 3-inch squares and then cut each square on the diagonal to form 8 triangles.
Brush each with cream and sprinkle with sugar.
Bake 20 minutes until golden brown and transfer to wire rack.

Lemon Glaze 
Ingredients:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 teaspoon cream

Instructions:
Mix together to desired consistency (adding milk if necessary).  
Drizzle over hot scones.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, yummy! Can't wait to try this! It seems I've been making Andrea's baked oatmeal recipe every Sunday lately- switching from blueberries to raspberries! It's our favorite! Of course, since I got the recipe from her, it makes us talk about TN while we eat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh those look *and sound* so yummy!! I recently made a chocolate chip one (and blogged about it, as it was my first time ever making them) that took 2 cups of whipping cream. I wonder why the differences in amounts like this..

    I'll have to try these now..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have actually never made scones but blueberry would be my first try. Followed by maybe orange. Yours look amazing and I can almost taste them! Hope you are well...have a good weekend. It's still not spring here but I am hoping!

    ReplyDelete